Apply online using our portal. Complete instructions are available in the Application & Assignment menu or in our Living at USC brochure.
Application and Assignments
Your user name is the ten digit USC student identification number issued to you when you were admitted to the university.
Newly admitted students will receive an e-mail with their Housing password. (Exchange students and non-USC students applying for summer housing will need to register on our site in order to receive a password e-mail.) If you forget your password, access our portal, put in your ID number and click the “Forgot Password” button.
Be sure to check/select the “Special Interest” button when applying, and (this is important) be sure to list the building for the community you have chosen as your first housing preference. A few communities require the completion of a supplemental application; make sure you submit this as well.
Housing for students with disabilities is available in several of our buildings, accommodating different levels of access. Disability Services and Programs (DSP), works closely with USC Housing to place students with special needs. Students must register with DSP as well as complete a housing application to receive special housing consideration. Space is limited and students should apply early. See the Disablity Services section in the Application & Assignment menu for more information.
Returning residents may apply for housing for the upcoming year through our USC Housing Renewal process (UHR). UHR takes place January through March. More information about next year’s UHR is available in December.
Apply online using our portal. Housing assignments are made for continuing, non-resident students after returning residents participating in the USC Housing Renewal program and transferring undergrads have been offered housing. Assignments are made based on space availability.
Undergraduate upperclassmen and graduate students
(1) Returning university housing residents who participate in the USC Housing Renewal (UHR) program are assigned first. Within UHR, returning freshmen are assigned first and are guaranteed a space in housing for their sophomore year, followed by returning upperclassmen and graduates. Participants who are not able to obtain an assignment during the UHR lottery process may go on the UHR Wait List and will be offered housing before any other undergraduate upperclassmen or graduate students.
(2) Transferring undergraduates and new graduate students will be assigned on a space available basis, after housing has been offered to all those on the UHR Wait List.
(3) Continuing, non-resident students (students currently at USC but not living in university housing or who did not participate in UHR) will then be offered housing on a space available basis.
Because housing for new graduates and families is in very high demand, only those who apply early are assigned housing
New freshmen applying for the fall semester by the May 1 deadline are guaranteed a space in university housing. Housing is set aside and reserved for freshmen in order for USC Housing to provide this guarantee. What are the chances of getting housing? New freshmen applying by the May 1 deadline are guaranteed a space in university housing.
Because housing for new graduates and families is in very high demand, only those who apply early are assigned housing.
Assignments for new freshman and new graduate students begin in mid-May. Assignments for continuing non-residents and transferring undergraduates will begin in the late spring based on space availability.
Log on to our portal and go to Step 10 “Confirmation Payment” to confirm your housing contract. After reading the contract summary, press the “I accept” button. Complete instructions are available on this web site or in Living at USC brochure for freshmen. Be sure to print out the confirmation page for your records.
You can find a copy of the Living Agreement here.
For new freshman (only) who are starting in the fall, roommates are matched based on their profiles and building preferences. However, all applicants, including new freshmen, can use our online tools to search for and contact potential roommates, and then request them.
Returning residents participating in USC Housing Renewal (UHR) can request and confirm roommates online and try to be assigned together by following the procedures for the UHR process
You can request to reassign. Please see the Reassignment section of the FAQ for more information.
Summer housing is available each year from just after Commencement in May until just before Fall Check-In in August. A separate application is required. Please see the Summer Housing section in the Application & Assignment menu for more information.
If you identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) and want to live in a special interest community specifically for LGBT and supportive Ally students, then consider applying to live on the Rainbow Floor. The Rainbow Floor is a special interest community within Century Apartments for all students, including first year and transfer students. You may also qualify for gender neutral housing. Please see the FAQ on that subject for more information.
If you would like special housing accommodations because you identify as transgender or are in the process of gender transition, then please contact the Director for the LGBT Resource Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit Trans@USC at http://sait.usc.edu/lgbt/coming-out/transausc.aspx.
Cancellation deadlines vary depending on your housing application category:
• Returning residents participating in UHR may cancel by the March 1, 2019 deadline without penalty, and by May 1, 2019 with the loss of the $800.00 confirmation payment.
• Continuing non-residents may cancel by May 1, 2019, with the loss of the $800.00 confirmation payment.
• Students new to USC (freshmen, transfers and new graduate students) must cancel by June 7, 2019 without penalty and the $800 confirmation payment will be refunded.
After the cancellation deadline for your category, you will be held to the terms of the housing contract and may cancel only by following the cancellation Wait List procedures outlined therein. Contact the Housing Services office for more information.